ATLANTA (AP) — Authorities say a roundup operation targeting child pornography suspects resulted in 82 arrests across eight Southeastern states.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said in a news release Friday that 31 of the arrests occurred in Georgia. Most of them involved charges of possessing or distributing child pornography. The GBI said some were charged after making plans to have sex with people the suspects met online and believed were minors, but were actually law enforcement officers.
About 170 agencies also took part in the crackdown that also included in Alabama, Florida, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.
The GBI said Operation Southern Impact III was planned for four months and the arrests came after three days of undercover operations, executing search warrants and other actions.
- Child pornography roundup nets 82 arrests in Southern states
- Ex-Auburn running back arrested on child pornography charge
- Alabama man pleads guilty to producing child pornography
- Largest US immigration raids in a decade net 680 arrests
- Raid nets cellphones, tobacco, other illegal items at prison
- Officials send alert to southern states seeking female's ID
- Man wanted on child molestation charges arrested in Alabama
- Prominent Alabama evangelist arrested on child sex charges
- Mississippi city official arrested in child sex sting
- State issues Endangered/Missing Child Alert for Senatobia teenager