MONTICELLO, Miss. (AP) — Lawrence County officials are investigating after a body was pulled from the Pearl River.
WLBT-TV reports Coroner Sandra Lambert says the body of 80-year-old George Edmond Schultz Jr. was recovered from the river area south of Highway 184, outside Monticello, near a campsite.
Schultz was found about 1:15 p.m. Tuesday submerged in the water, and the life jacket he was wearing was holding his body up.
He apparently left to go fishing around 8 a.m. and launched from Atwood Water Park. Sheriff Lessie Butler deployed a rescue unit and they worked with Mississippi Department of Wildlife and Fisheries to locate his body.
An autopsy has been requested by the sheriff and this is an ongoing investigation.
- Body found in Pearl River in Mississippi
- Body of missing man found in Pearl River in Mississippi
- Missing Mississippi man's body found in lake
- Man's body found in Mississippi lake
- Authorities identify body found in Mississippi creek
- Second body recovered from Mississippi River after woman, children disappear
- Pearl River Foods adding hundreds of new jobs
- Construction set to begin soon at Pearl River County school
- Police: Man's body found in ditch off Mississippi road
- 3 arrested after body of Mississippi man found in freezer