WIGGINS, Miss. (AP) — Authorities say a school guidance counselor found dead at her home in Mississippi had been decapitated and that her son is charged with murder.
Stone County Coroner Wayne Flurry told news outlets Friday that the body of 51-year-old Sherry Johnson was discovered Wednesday at her house near Wiggins.
Flurry says Johnson's remains had been there for several days, and were found by sheriff's deputies who were asked to check on her. An autopsy could be completed by Monday.
County sheriff's Capt. Ray Boggs says 29-year-old Terrell Johnson was arrested on a first-degree murder charge.
Boggs says Johnson was jailed without bond. It's unclear if he has a lawyer.
Hattiesburg High School Principal Eric Boney says Sherry Johnson had worked at the school since 2014.
- Authorities: Man charged with murder in his mother's death
- Charge against mother in infant's death upgraded to murder
- Police: Alabama woman charged with murder in mother's death
- Mother charged with murder of baby
- Mother charged in 4-year-old daughter's death
- Man charged with murder in deaths of wife, stepdaughter
- Alabama man charged with murder, abuse in 4-year-old's death
- Mississippi man charged after authorities identify body
- Authorities: Veteran faked death to avoid child rape charges
- Mother charged in death of boy found in hotel freezer