AUBURN, Ala. (AP) - A college senior from Alabama has been chosen as a Rhodes scholar.
The Rhodes Trust announced Saturday that Matthew Rogers is among the 32 students selected to receive a scholarship to study at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. He is a software engineering student at Auburn University.
Rogers will study cyber security at Oxford next year. He is a Huntsville, Alabama, native and is Auburn University's fifth student to win the honor and the first since 2009.
Rogers is a national champion in the Cyber Patriot competition and recently interned at the NSA where he focused on cyber operations. He co-founded the Ethical Hacking Club in order to raise awareness of cyber security issues.
- Auburn University student chosen as Rhodes scholar
- Auburn University students get help with unplanned pregnancy
- Auburn raises tuition amid hikes at other state universities
- 4 students named Peyton Manning Scholars at Tennessee
- Student shot, wounded on Jackson State University's campus
- Auburn fires indicted basketball assistant Chuck Person
- Auburn mayor stepping down after 2 decades
- Auburn to offer he outdoor recreation degree
- Auburn putting $5 million into research