BILOXI, Miss. (AP) — Testimony provided in court says a Mississippi toddler who accidentally hanged himself between a couch and wall also suffered cigarette burns to his feet, bite marks and bruises.
The Sun Herald of Biloxi reported Friday that a judge has sent the case to a grand jury. One-year-old Rowan Cannette was found dead this month. Rowan's father Thomas Cannette and his father's girlfriend, Cassandra Lopresto, have been charged with abuse.
County attorney Herman Cox says two other children in the Biloxi home, aged 3, also had signs of abuse including evidence of meth ingestion, burns and untreated infections.
Cannette testified that he and Lopresto would lock the children in a room while they slept. But the door wasn't locked the day Rowan ventured around the home unsupervised.
- Attorney: Hanged toddler also suffered burns, bites, bruises
- Mississippi inmate tries to hang self in cell, attorney says
- Mississippi puts bite into penalties against dogfighting
- Police: Body of missing Alabama toddler found
- Infant suffers severe head trauma; woman charged
- Baby suffers brain swelling; mother's boyfriend charged
- FBI, Mississippi agents probe hanging of black man from tree
- Policy on bullying eyed after 12-year-old hangs himself
- Inmate at privately-run Mississippi prison dies in hanging
- Coroner: Inmate dies, found hanging at a Mississippi prison