BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A loaded gun has been found in a carry-on bag at an Alabama airport in for the 27th time this year.
Al.com reports Transportation Security Administration officers found the handgun Tuesday morning at the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport. TSA officers confiscated the gun and alerted airport police, who then escorted the passenger out of the checkpoint area.
Unloaded firearms declared to the airline and in a proper carrying case can be transported in checked baggage. The TSA website says passengers who bring firearms to a checkpoint could face criminal charges and civil penalties. The passenger's identity has not been released. It's unclear if they were arrested or charged.
- Another loaded gun found in carry-on at Alabama airport
- Escaped inmate found with loaded gun in jail after recapture
- Former student carrying gun arrested at school in Alabama
- Alabama high school student found with gun, arrested
- Mississippi lawmakers: Schools could let teachers carry guns
- Alabama House votes to ban smoking in cars carrying minors
- ATF: Alabama sheriffs gave carry permits without full checks
- Ex-Mississippi Gov. Barbour arrested with gun at airport
- Body found under Alabama bridge
- Alabama’s busiest airport adds biometric screening service