PHENIX CITY, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama woman is charged with capital murder in an apartment fire that killed her 4-month-old child.
News outlets report 31-year-old Ashley Nicole King of Phenix City was arrested following a blaze Wednesday.
The woman covered her face with her hands as she walked through a courthouse for an initial appearance on Thursday. A judge appointed an attorney to represent King, but he didn't have any immediate comment on the charges.
Firefighters found out a child might be inside a burning apartment as they responded to a call about the fire. Williams says the woman's child was found inside with severe burns.
A spokesman for the Phenix City Police Department, Capt. Darryl Williams, says investigators believe the fire was intentionally set, but they don't have a motive.
- Alabama woman charged with murder in fire that killed infant
- Infant suffers severe head trauma; woman charged
- Charge against mother in infant's death upgraded to murder
- Mom faces 2nd-degree murder charge in infant's hot car death
- Police: Alabama man kills infant daughter, self in dispute
- Murder charge dropped for Alabama man accused of killing mom
- Alabama woman facing rape charge
- Police: Alabama woman charged with murder in mother's death
- Woman indicted on murder charge in 2018 Alabama stabbing
- Former North Alabama player charged in murder