GENESEO, Ill. (AP) — An Alabama woman has been charged with attempted first-degree murder in what authorities say was a failed plot to kill two people in Illinois.
News outlets report Shannon J. Jones, of Center Point, was arrested this week and also charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder. The deputy chief of Geneseo, Illinois, police released a statement Monday saying the charges stem from an attempted poisoning and attempted bludgeoning.
Deputy Chief Gene Karzin says Jones and the person she was conspiring with drugged a drink that was consumed by someone Friday. That person got sick but suffered no lasting effects. The statement says Jones and her co-conspirator then attempted to bludgeon to death another person at an area home.
Authorities didn't immediately name the co-conspirator. Police say more arrests are expected.
- Alabama woman accused of failed murder plot in Illinois
- Alabama releases 2019 list of 'failing' schools
- Mistrial declared for Alabama teen accused of murder
- Murder charge dropped for Alabama man accused of killing mom
- Police: Alabama woman charged with murder in mother's death
- Woman indicted on murder charge in 2018 Alabama stabbing
- Alabama woman charged with murder in fire that killed infant
- Alabama woman accused of shooting boyfriend to death
- Lottery bill stalls in Alabama House, fails procedural vote
- Failed US Senate candidate Moore: New suit against accusers