MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Prosecutors say a man who killed a couple next door, believing they were responsible for breaking into his home, has been found guilty by an Alabama jury.
Montgomery County District Attorney Daryl Bailey told news outlets Thursday that Steven Varnado was convicted on charges including capital murder in the deaths of 34-year-old Anthony Packer and 24-year-old Sherika Huffman Packer, and attempted murder of Legarian Huffman.
Bailey says the day before Thanksgiving 2015, Varnado and his family fought their way into the Packers' home. Varnado punched Huffman's face and shot his hand. He shot both Packers in the chest.
Varnado's sentencing on a mandatory life prison term without the possibility of parole is scheduled for January. Co-defendants Kelly Varnado and Donte Cooper await trial.
It's unclear if the three have lawyers who could comment.
- Alabama man convicted of killing couple next door in 2015
- Third suspect convicted in 2015 slaying of paralyzed man
- 2 men plead guilty in 2015 Alabama killing
- Man convicted of killing carnival boss executed in Alabama
- Jurors convict ex-police officer of aiding 2015 murder
- Police say shooters kicked down apartment door, killing man
- Appeal denied for Alabama man convicted in 2005 murder
- Alabama man convicted of sex trafficking escapes prison
- Alabama man convicted of murder in boy's shooting death
- Alabama man who withdrew plea convicted of manslaughter