SPRINGVILLE, Ala. (AP) — The Alabama Department of Corrections is investigating the fatal stabbing of an inmate at the St. Clair Correctional Facility in Springville.
The stabbing happened at about 11:30 a.m. Friday.
Correctional officers responded to an inmate assault and found 25-year-old Travis Lamar Wilson Jr. outside a cell block with serious injuries. Wilson was treated at the scene and taken to an area hospital where he later died.
Wilson was serving a 25-year sentence on a 2011 murder conviction in Etowah County.
The suspect in the stabbing, 25-year-old Cruz Caldwell, will face a charge of first-degree murder. He had been serving a 20-year sentence for a first-degree theft of property conviction in Coffee County.
Authorities say it's unclear what led to the assault.
- Alabama inmate fatally stabbed
- Alabama inmate stabbed to death
- Convicted killer accused of fatally stabbing Alabama inmate
- 2 inmates escape from Alabama prison
- Lawyer: Condemned Alabama inmate doesn't remember crime
- Alabama inmate recaptured at gas station
- Death of Alabama inmate ruled suicide
- Alabama inmate escapes from work release center
- Alabama inmate dies in apparent suicide
- Alabama Corrections Department investigates inmate death