FLORENCE, Ala. (AP) — A former foster parent in Alabama has pleaded guilty to child abuse, sexual abuse and torture.
News outlets report that 50-year-old Daniel Spurgeon agreed Monday to a deal to serve 25 years in prison. His wife, Jenise Spurgeon, also faces numerous charges and is set for trial in October.
Lauderdale County Chief Assistant District Attorney Angie Hamilton says Spurgeon cannot be paroled or receive time off for good behavior.
The couple was arrested two years ago in Florida and charged with 700 counts of child abuse and other crimes against 11 children they adopted or fostered.
Police in Florida began investigating the couple in 2016 after getting a call about two intoxicated teenagers. One of the girls told authorities there had been multiple incidents while they lived in Alabama in 2008.
- Alabama foster parent pleads guilty to child abuse charges
- Youth pastor pleads guilty to abusing child on church trip
- Alabama man pleads guilty to producing child pornography
- Ex-Alabama police officer pleads guilty to child sex crimes
- Mississippi ex-alderman to plead guilty to child porn charge
- Alabama man pleads guilty to federal cyberstalking charges
- Alabama doctor pleads guilty to drug distribution
- Man pleads guilty to sexual abuse of minor in Mississippi
- Man pleaded guilty to kidnapping, sexual abuse of girl, 4
- Alabama man faces 6,547 child porn charges