MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a high-speed chase through several south Alabama counties ended with a suspect dead after he jumped off a bridge over a river delta.
News outlets report the incident began Tuesday night with reports of a car being stolen and gunshots fired in Monroe County, which is about 90 miles (145 kilometers) north of Mobile.
The chase went down Interstate 65 to the Gen. W.K. Wilson Jr. Bridge over the Mobile-Tensaw River Delta. Police say the suspect fired shots at pursuing officers as he drove.
Officials say a man finally got out of a vehicle while it was moving and jumped from the bridge, which is about 125 feet (38 meters) tall at its highest point.
Authorities say the man hit the ground and died at the scene. His name hasn't been released.
- Alabama chase ends with suspect jumping off bridge
- Deputy injured during Alabama chase that ended in Georgia
- Police chase of robbery suspect ends in utility pole crash
- Man swimming with friends jumps off bridge into creek, dies
- Man dies after jump from bridge into south Mississippi creek
- Qualifying ends for Alabama elections
- Police: Chase ends in crash through Mississippi law office
- Alabama prepares to freeze, end insurance program
- Alabama trooper shoots, kills driver after car chase
- Bank robbery suspect wounded by police after car chase