MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WTVA) – Alabama has awarded almost $3 million in funding to help domestic violence and sexual abuse victims.
Gov. Kay Ivey awarded the grants totaling $2.7 million. The Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs is administering the grants from funds made available to the state by the U.S. Justice Department.
The organizations include:
- Bessemer Cut-Off Advocacy Center - $140,000 to assist child victims in the cities of Bessemer, Brighton, Fairfield, Hoover, Hueytown, Lipscomb, Midfield and Pleasant Grove in Jefferson County.
- Blount County Children’s Center Inc. - $69,000 to assist child victims of sexual assault and abuse and their family members in Blount County.
- Crisis Center Inc. - $248,000 to help victims of sexual violence in Blount, Jefferson, St. Clair and Walker counties.
- Family Resource Center of Northwest Alabama - $232,000 to aid domestic violence victims in Blount, Cullman, Jefferson, Marion, Walker, Tuscaloosa and Fayette counties.
- Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office - $96,566 to provide two victims services officers to assist victims of crime in Jefferson County.
- Prescott House Child Advocacy Center - $122,000 to assist child abuse victims Jefferson County.
- Safehouse of Shelby County Inc. - $698,747 to aid victims of sexual and domestic violence in Shelby, Coosa, Clay and Chilton counties.
- Shelby County Children’s Advocacy Center Inc. - $236,000 to assist child abuse victims in Shelby County.
- St. Clair Children’s Advocacy Center - $72,000 to help child abuse victims and their non-offending family members in St. Clair County.
- Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama - $353,475 to help Hispanic immigrant victims of domestic violence and other crimes in Blount, Cullman, Dekalb, Marshall, Jefferson and Shelby counties.
- Victim Services of Cullman Inc. - $223,000 to assist domestic violence and sexual assault victims in Cullman and Winston counties.
- The Child Advocacy Center of Cullman Inc. - $241,289 to assist child abuse victims in Cullman County.
- Alabama awards grants to help victims of domestic violence and sexual abuse
- Alabama police officer arrested for domestic violence
- Former deputy accused of domestic violence, sexual assault
- Alabama sheriff's deputy shot during domestic violence call
- Alabama awards grant to help entrepreneurs and upstart companies
- Alabama Gov. Ivey awards grant to create jobs in Winfield
- Police: Man sought for domestic violence flees, shoots self
- Judge tosses domestic violence charges against mayor, wife
- Private Alabama school discovers 10 sexual assault victims
- Alabama man accused of sexually abusing teen girl for a year