DORA, Ala. (AP) — Preliminary autopsy results in Alabama show a city councilman and part-time police officer fatally shot a woman and then killed himself.
News outlets report that authorities have not released a motive in the deaths of 70-year-old John Allen Softley and 30-year-old Monica Jean Graves.
Their bodies were found in a parked pickup truck last month by a passing motorist. Softley was a Parrish City councilman and part-time Jasper police officer.
Walker County District Attorney Bill Adair asked the State Bureau of Investigation to take the case.
Preliminary results from autopsies by the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences have determined that Graves' death was a homicide and Softley's was a suicide.
- Alabama agency: Councilman found dead killed woman then self
- Alabama officer killed, suspect found dead after standoff
- Alabama inmate who killed 2 found dead in prison infirmary
- Missing woman found dead in rural Alabama county
- Man reported missing in Alabama found dead
- Jail records: Alabama city councilman charged with DUI
- Man, woman found dead in apartment
- Alabama woman's body found weeks after disappearance
- Woman's body found at north Alabama landfill
- Authorities ID trucker found dead in Alabama as Ohio man