TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — The president of the University of Alabama's student government association has resigned following his arrest on a drunken driving charge.
Jared Hunter's resignation as president was announced on the association's website Monday. In a letter posted on the site, Hunter expresses remorse and says what he did was "careless and completely irresponsible."
A statement from Tuscaloosa police said Hunter was arrested Sunday after a crash near campus in Tuscaloosa resulted in minor injuries.
The police statement said a test showed Hunter's blood-alcohol level was about double the state's limit.
Hunter was the first black SGA candidate to be elected president at Alabama with the support of a secretive campus group long controlled by whites.
- Alabama SGA president arrested after crash
- Man arrested on felony charge after deadly crash in Alabama
- Helicopter crashes in central Alabama
- Former Alabama legislative leader arrested
- Los Angeles pilot dies in Alabama crash
- Small plane crashes in Orange Beach, Alabama
- UAB bus crash injures many in Alabama
- Suspect in Alabama killing arrested in Georgia
- Alabama police officer arrested for domestic violence
- Man arrested in Mississippi carjacking, Alabama killing