UNION SPRINGS, Ala. (AP) — The Alabama Department of Corrections says it is investigating the death of a state prison inmate.
The department announced in a statement Thursday that 34-year-old Marcus Green of Birmingham died at Bullock County Correctional Facility in Union Springs on Oct. 6.
Department officials say a correctional officer found Green unresponsive, lying on his back in bed, during a routine nighttime check. He was taken to the facility's health care unit but couldn't be saved.
Al.com reports that department spokeswoman Linda Mays says the cause of death is pending final autopsy results.
The agency says an unintentional overnight resulted in a more than three-week delay in revealing Green's death publicly.
- Alabama Corrections Department investigates inmate death
- Alabama inmate stabbed to death
- Inmates captured after escaping correctional facility
- Correctional officer accused of stealing inmate's money
- Death of Alabama inmate ruled suicide
- Alabama inmate deaths rise despite national attention
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Alabama inmate fatally stabbed
- Police in Alabama investigate 2 shooting deaths
- Alabama death row inmate found dead inside cell