CANTON, Miss. (AP) — Authorities say four men have been arrested and 32 dogs and puppies were seized following a dogfighting operation in Mississippi.
A Madison County Sheriff's Department news release says deputies received a tip regarding dogfighting. Authorities say deputies later found two dogs surrounded by four men who were encouraging the canines to fight.
News outlets report three mother dogs, 15 puppies and 14 adult dogs were seized. Authorities say the animals suffered from malnourishment and some didn't have access to water.
At least two dogs were taken to the Animal Emergency & Referral Center for emergency treatment.
Authorities arrested 37-year-old HB Preyer III, 39-year-old Maurice Greenwood, 37-year-old Derrick L. Mack and 36-year-old Michael Brown on Saturday. They each face at least one dogfighting charge. It's unclear if they have lawyers.
- 4 men arrested after dogfighting ring bust in Mississippi
- Man charged in Mississippi dogfighting ring, others sought
- 2 dogfighting operations found in Mississippi
- Man charged in southwest Mississippi dogfighting operation
- Mississippi puts bite into penalties against dogfighting
- Mississippi man convicted of felony dogfighting charges
- Panola County deputies seek man involved in dogfighting ring
- New Mississippi laws target dogfighting, left-lane driving
- 2 Mississippi men arrested in connection with attack on man
- 2 more men arrested after Mississippi police officer slain