GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi coroner has identified three 14-year-olds who drowned in the Biloxi River.
Harrison County Deputy Coroner Brian Switzer confirmed that Travis Roberson, Javonte Johnson and Eric Smith Jr. were pulled from the water Thursday evening. Their deaths were determined to be accidental drownings.
Gulfport Fire Chief Mike Beyerstedt told news outlets that witnesses said the boys appeared to be struggling in the water.
WLOX reports Switzer said a large group was together when one of the boys began struggling and another boy went into the water to help but also began to struggle. A third boy tried to rescue the other two, but all three went underwater and never resurfaced.
- 3 teenagers drown in Mississippi's Biloxi River
- Mississippi man drowns while fishing
- Biloxi Shuckers to hold job fair to fill several positions
- Former Biloxi Mayor A.J. Holloway dies at 79
- Biloxi resort plans $140M amusement park and hotel tower
- Hundreds throng funeral for slain Biloxi police officer
- Missing Mississippi man identified as drowning victim
- Federal agent drowns on Tennessee River in northern Alabama
- 2 high school students drowned in Tombigbee River in Alabama
- Authorities say drowning in Mississippi lake was accidental