JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Three schools in Mississippi have been chosen as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2018.
The U.S. Education Department said in a news release the awards are being presented to Center Hill Middle School in Olive Branch, North Bay Elementary School in Biloxi and Eastside Elementary School in Clinton.
They are among 349 schools to win the award nationwide.
The award is based on a school's overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student groups.
The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has honored more than 8,800 schools nationwide in its 36 years of operation.
- 3 Mississippi schools receive Blue Ribbon recognition
- Mississippi receiving federal grant for preschool programs
- Mississippi receiving federal highway money after floods
- Alabama offering facial recognition ID for tax refunds
- Mississippi slated to receive some election security money
- Mississippi receives $1.2 million to support state parks and recreation
- Mississippi to receive $2.5 million in Wells Fargo settlement
- Mississippi receives money to study freshwater effects on animals
- Judge lets Blue Cross Blue Shield antitrust suit move ahead
- UMMC to stop accepting Blue Cross/Blue Shield policies