HERNANDO, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi officials are identifying two Tennessee men killed Saturday in a police chase.
DeSoto County Coroner Josh Pounders tells local news outlets that Kristopher Ford and Jessie L. White — both 20-year-old residents of Memphis, Tennessee — died after being thrown from a car in Hernando.
Police in Hernando say they tried to stop a Nissan Maxima that had been reported stolen at 4:20 a.m. Saturday when the driver fled. The driver entered Interstate 55 going the wrong way, northbound in the southbound lanes. About a mile later, police say the car struck a guardrail, leaving it mangled.
Other passengers in the Maxima were injured and taken to a hospital, but no one else was hurt.
Hernando police say they continue to investigate.
- 2 killed as car flees police in northern Mississippi
- Retired Mississippi police lieutenant killed in car crash
- Alabama authorities: Motorcyclist dies while fleeing police
- Man who rammed cars to flee 'zombies' gets 15 years
- 1 killed in crash between car, train in Mississippi
- Northern Mississippi school district trying to cut expenses
- Police: Man fatally crashes while fleeing hit-and-run
- Police: Man sought for domestic violence flees, shoots self
- Man drowns in rural Alabama pond while fleeing police
- Man caught after fleeing police standoff, shooting at drone