JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Police in Jackson say two men have been arrested after firing shots at a police officer.
Local news media report that 20-year-old Matthew Tate and 24-year-old Christopher Harvey were arrested Friday and charged with aggravated assault on a police officer.
Sgt. Roderick Holmes said the shooting occurred Friday morning during a traffic stop. Police said Tate, the passenger in the car, had a handgun and fired shots. The officer returned fire as the vehicle sped away.
Police later captured both men. Tate was taken to a hospital for treatment of an injury.
The officer was uninjured.
- Alabama officer facing assault charge
- Birmingham officer charged in assault on prisoner
- 2 charged in assault on officer
- Student files assault charge against Mississippi teacher
- Mississippi mayor charged with assault, denies guilt
- Off-duty police officer accused of sexually assaulting woman
- 2 Mississippi teens charged with sexually assaulting toddler
- 4 charged, $12M claim sought in high school football assault
- North Alabama physician arrested on sexual assault charges
- Former Mississippi officer sentenced on marijuana charge