LEAKESVILLE, Miss. (AP) — Two south Mississippi teenagers are charged with sexually assaulting a then-2-year-old girl in 2016.
The Greene County Herald reports that 19-year-old Joseph Beckwith Jr. and 15-year-old Jeremiah Beckwith, both Leakesville residents, were arrested Tuesday.
Sheriff Stanley McLeod says the case was referred by the Mississippi Department of Human Services, which has custody of the girl. McLeod says the brothers confessed after new evidence was uncovered. He says the victim is related to the Beckwiths.
The older brother is charged with one count of statutory rape and two counts of child molestation. He's jailed on $100,000 bail. The younger brother is charged as an adult with two counts of statutory rape. He's jailed pending $25,000 bail.
It's unclear if either has a lawyer. None was present in court Wednesday.
- 2 Mississippi teens charged with sexually assaulting toddler
- Student files assault charge against Mississippi teacher
- Mississippi mayor charged with assault, denies guilt
- North Alabama physician arrested on sexual assault charges
- Mississippi OB-GYN indicted on 12 sexual battery charges
- Mississippi day care closes after injuries to toddler's face
- Sheriff: Mississippi man killed toddler, man during dispute
- Toddler drowns in canal at Mississippi RV park
- Police: Mississippi teen fatally shot, 2 people charged
- Mississippi teen jailed on charges he threatened shooting