CRYSTAL SPRINGS, Miss. (AP) — Authorities in Mississippi say a train crashed into a car near Crystal Springs, killing one person and injuring another.
WJTV-TV reports two people were riding in the car Thursday night as it crossed train tracks just north of the city and was hit. The car was forced under the train and carried about 50 feet down the tracks.
Copiah County Coroner Ellis Stuart confirmed the death to WLBT-TV. The injured person was airlifted to a hospital. Their condition was unclear as of Friday morning. Authorities didn't immediately release the identities of those involved.
County Sheriff Harold Jones says there have been several crashes at the railroad crossing, which doesn't have any warning lights or safety arms.
- 1 killed in crash between car, train in Mississippi
- Retired Mississippi police lieutenant killed in car crash
- Missouri man killed in Mississippi crash
- Some Mississippi lawmakers trained against sexual harassment
- Mississippi to train new highway patrol cadets
- Newly elected judges in Mississippi undergo training
- Pilot killed when small plane crashes in south Mississippi
- Mississippi firefighter charged in crash that killed woman
- 1 man killed as small plane crashes in central Mississippi
- 2 adults, 1 child killed in central Mississippi crash