BESSEMER, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama inmate convicted of killing his grandmother has been found hanged in his cell.
Al.com reported Friday that authorities say 31-year-old Daniel Scott Gentry was found dead in his cell at the William Donaldson Correctional Facility last week.
Gentry was serving a life sentence for the 2012 slaying of Carrie Elaine Gentry, who's believed to have been stabbed, struck with a hammer and strangled.
She was a minister who allowed him to stay with her while he underwent drug rehabilitation. He initially pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental disease but later pleaded guilty to avoid the death penalty.
The state Department of Corrections has said it's working to address the recent spike in inmate suicides.
- Inmate convicted of killing grandmother found dead in cell
- Alabama death row inmate found dead inside cell
- Sheriff: Inmate dies after being found unresponsive in cell
- Inmate found unresponsive in cell at Mississippi prison
- Alabama inmate who killed 2 found dead in prison infirmary
- Inmate found dead in South Mississippi jail
- Inmate assault puts cell block on lockdown in Mississippi
- Inmate convicted of giving fatal buttocks injection dies
- Convicted killer accused of fatally stabbing Alabama inmate
- Inmate with 4 convictions dies in Mississippi prison