RALEIGH, Miss. (AP) — Two former sheriff's deputies in a central Mississippi county have been indicted for having sex with inmates.
Smith County Sheriff Charlie Crumpton tells local media that 52-year-old Robert Thompson and 42-year-old Charles Johnson turned themselves in last week and are free on bail.
Indictments in Smith County Circuit Court show Johnson, then a sheriff's investigator, engaged in sexual activity with a county jail inmate in April and May 2017 with the inmate's consent.
Thompson, who was also an investigator, is accused of having sex with another jail inmate at the same time with the inmate's consent.
If convicted, the defendants face up to five years in prison for each count and a maximum of $10,000 in fines.
The state attorney general's office and the FBI investigated the case.
- 2 former Mississippi deputies indicted for sex with inmates
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Mississippi accountant indicted on tax-related charges
- Ex-Mississippi officer indicted on fondling charge
- Mississippi officer resigns after indictment in Louisiana
- Psychologist: Solitary confinement hurts Mississippi inmates
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Inmate, 57, dies in Mississippi prison
- Inmate dies after fight in Mississippi prison
- Inmate found dead in South Mississippi jail