MARTIN, Tenn. (WTVA/BMC Athletics) - The Blue Mountain College men's basketball team continued its string of play against NCAA Division I teams here Wednesday, falling to Ohio Valley Conference member UT-Martin 84-76.
Blue Mountain hung around for the majority of the game, cutting the Skyhawks lead to four points in the second half on three free throws from Jaylon Bardley (JR/Columbus, Miss.), including a 6-0 run late.
Martin, coming off a recent loss to Mississippi State, led 49-39 at the half.
The Toppers were scorching hot from distance early in the game, as Harrison Fancher (JR/Belmont, Miss.) had one of his best games on the season, hitting 7-of-12 from behind the 3-point arc, leading BMC with 25 points.
Blue Mountain eventually hit 14-of-34 from 3-point distance.
Bardley had another solid game for BMC, adding 21 points and hitting 5-of-11 from distance, while Quan Cothron (JR/Huntsville, Ala.) and Dominic Hudson (SR/Memphis, Tenn.) each chipped in 11. LaByron Harris (JR/Fairfield, Ala.) had a solid game on defense for the Toppers, blocking five shots and pulling down nine rebounds.
Fatodd Lewis led the Skyhawks with 25, and teammate Matthew Butler added 20.
"We played pretty well tonight against a really good NCAA team," BMC head coach Jermael Bingham said. "We got some great open looks and knocked them down. Overall, I was really pleased with our effort tonight, and I know our guys will be ready to get going after Christmas break."
BMC (4-6) returns to action Jan. 4 against SSAC foe Bethel University (Tenn.) in Blue Mountain with a 7:30 p.m. tip.
- UT-Martin edges BMC men
- Ole Miss baseball outpowers UT Martin in midweek win
- Roth's blasts power Ole Miss softball to five-inning victory over UT Martin
- Southern Miss downs BMC men's basketball in exhibition
- BMC archer wins national championship
- BMC golf signs Lafayette's Watts
- Creekmore steps down at BMC
- Rowland named BMC softball assistant
- BMC falls in opener to Freed-Hardeman
- Saltillo's Lusby signs with BMC cross country