NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Breein Tyree scored a career-high 31 points, and Ole Miss opened Southeastern Conference play by beating Vanderbilt 81-71 Saturday night for the Rebels' eighth straight victory.
Ole Miss now has won four straight in Memorial Gym and seven of the last nine between these teams. First-year coach Kermit Davis picked up where he left off winning his fourth consecutive in a streak he started at Middle Tennessee.
The Rebels led 35-32 at halftime and simply outshot Vanderbilt in the second. They hit 57.7 percent (15 of 26) in the second half.
Blake Hinson, Terence Davis and Devontae Shuler added 11 points each for Ole Miss (11-2).
Vanderbilt (9-4) snapped a two-game winning streak after finishing its nonconference slate winning four of the last five.
Freshman Simisola Shittu led the Commodores with a career-high 21 points, and Joe Toye added 12.
In a tight game with 10 ties and 13 lead changes, Vanderbilt had its biggest lead at 53-47 on a 3-point play by Shittu with 14:23 left.
Then the Rebels took over with a 20-7 run. Davis hit a 3 and then stole the ball to set up Shuler for a fast-break layup and a 65-60 lead that matched their largest of the game to that point. Tyree added a pair of free throws for the Rebels' biggest lead to finish the run.
Ole Miss then put away the game as Davis hit a 3 and Shuler added a layup with 4:01 left for a 79-63 lead.
Vanderbilt didn't hit a bucket after Aaron Nesmith's 3 with 3:46 left as the Commodores finished the game hitting only one of their final seven shots.
- Tyree scores career-high 31 as Ole Miss beats Vandy 81-71
- Ole Miss downs Georgia 80-64, Tyree ties career-high with 31 points
- Tyree, Ole Miss hold off San Diego
- Tyree, Ole Miss clamp down on Auburn
- Tyree, Shuler lead Ole Miss past Missouri
- Ole Miss' Breein Tyree enters NBA Draft
- Tyree scores 22, Ole Miss rallies past Texas A&M
- Shuler carries Ole Miss to blowout win over Vandy
- Tyree leads Ole Miss past Missouri 90-87 in overtime
- Tyree's 20 points paces Ole Miss past Louisiana Monroe