OXFORD, Miss. (AP) — Breein Tyree scored 22 points as Ole Miss placed five players in double figures Wednesday to defeat San Diego 93-86.
Terence Davis scored 20 points, with a game-high 9 assists, for the Rebels (4-2). Blake Hinson and KJ Buffen had 15 points apiece while Devontae Shuler added 13. Buffen had a game-high seven rebounds.
Ole Miss built a 79-63 lead on a Dominik Olejniczak jumper with 4:35 left before a late run by San Diego pulled within 91-86. The Rebels finished 20 of 23 (87 percent) from the free throw line, including 8 of 8 by Tyree, to preserve the win.
Isaiah Wright scored 22 points with six assists to lead the Toreros (5-2), who had a three-game win streak snapped. Isaiah Pineiro scored 21 points, 17 in the first half, and Olin Carter III added 19 points for San Diego, which trailed 39-37 at halftime.
The Rebels shot 33 of 54 (61 percent) from the field, including 7 of 16 (44 percent) from 3-point range. San Diego was 31 of 64 (48 percent), 9 of 23 (39 percent) from deep and 15 of 18 (83 percent) from the line.
San Diego: The Toreros, with four seniors in the starting lineup, look like a legitimate WCC challenger in Sam Scholl's first season as head coach. A December non-conference schedule includes Oregon and Washington State, but San Diego is already 1-1 against Pac-12 teams, defeating Colorado and losing at Washington. The trio of Wright, Carter III and Pineiro can provide matchup problems.
Ole Miss: The Rebels shot 6 of 8 in a six-minute surge that spanned the first and second half to build what proved to be an insurmountable 52-44 lead. The Rebels did not look fatigued, despite playing four games in less than six days, including two on the road. Ole Miss has hit 36 of 40 (90 percent) from the free throw line over the past two games.
San Diego: The Toreros host Long Beach State on Saturday.
Ole Miss: The Rebels host Louisiana Monroe on Saturday.
- Tyree, Ole Miss hold off San Diego
- Tyree, Ole Miss clamp down on Auburn
- Tyree, Shuler lead Ole Miss past Missouri
- Ole Miss' Breein Tyree enters NBA Draft
- Tyree leads Ole Miss past Missouri 90-87 in overtime
- Tyree's 20 points paces Ole Miss past Louisiana Monroe
- Tyree scores 22, Ole Miss rallies past Texas A&M
- Tyree scores career-high 31 as Ole Miss beats Vandy 81-71
- Ole Miss downs Georgia 80-64, Tyree ties career-high with 31 points
- Ole Miss football holds first fall practice