BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) – After earning back-to-back SEC Freshman of the Week honors for Ole Miss Baseball earlier this season, Tyler Keenan’s outstanding rookie campaign continued on Monday with an SEC Player of the Week designation.
Keenan was instrumental on offense and defense as the No. 5 Rebels swept No. 16 Auburn at Swayze Field over the weekend. Keenan was 5-for-9 over the week, batting .556 with an astronomical 1.444 slugging percentage thanks to two home runs and two doubles. Keenan scored four runs and drove in six.
He pushed across a key run in Game 1 against the Tigers with a two-out RBI double in the 5-4 win. In Game 2, he went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and four RBI with a double and a home run, including a 2-for-2 mark off projected top MLB Draft pick Casey Mize. He drove in the first run of Game 2 on two-out single in the second inning and later knocked two-run opposite-field home run off of Mize.
In Game 3, Keenan went 1-for-2 with a walk and a hit by pitch, belting the go-ahead home run in the seventh inning to break a four-inning scoreless drought. That home run came as the third-hardest-hit ball of the season at Swayze Field with an exit velocity of 111.6. Over the week, he made several outstanding, run-saving plays at third base, tallying six assists and a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage.
Keenan is the only freshman in the conference this season to win Player of the Week this season. He’s the first Rebel freshman to earn the honor since Alex Presley in 2004.
Keenan was named SEC Freshman of the Week on April 2 and April 9. The Rebels have now earned five SEC weekly honors this season. Ryan Rolison and Parker Caracci were named Pitcher of the Week on February 19 and April 2, respectively.
- Tyler Keenan named SEC Player of the Week
- Tyler Keenan repeats as SEC Freshman of the Week
- Parker Caracci, Tyler Keenan earn SEC baseball weekly honors
- Tyler Keenan named Freshman All-American by Perfect Game
- McCowan named SEC Player Of The Week
- Howard named SEC Player of the Week
- Keenan, Jordan named Freshman All-Americans
- MSU's Danberry named SEC Co-Player of the Week
- Cooper Johnson named SEC Player of the Week
- Rebs' Wunderlich, Little named SEC Players of the Week