TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Daryl Young enjoys his job as a barber. He's been cutting hair for around 25 years.
However, Young's passion is bodybuilding, and after winning an overall championship recently at a show in New Jersey, he's now officially a professional.
"I was doing local shows first, but I started doing the national shows about five years ago," Young said. "Last year, I finally made it in the top five....so, this year, I went back, actually brought a better package, and I worked harder."
Young played football at Itawamba Community College, and after his playing days ended, he continued to work out.
"Coming in here every day, I just said, 'you know what, I'm coming in here every day working hard, I need to have a goal or something,' so that's what made me get into that, having a goal, that's what made me get into bodybuilding," he said.
At 47 years of age, Daryl Young is proving you're never too old to accomplish your goals.
"Set goals in your life, I don't care what it is, but set goals in your life. Now, when you set goals in life, you need to have discipline. You've gotta have discipline, and that's the key, because if you don't have discipline, then you're not gonna make it through the tough times, cause it's gonna get tough," he said.
Young's barber shop is called "So Fresh and So Clean," and he works out at Premiere Athletix. He also personally trains others.
Young is about to start preparing for his first professional bodybuilding show, which is Labor Day Weekend 2020 in Pittsburgh.
- Tupelo barber wins bodybuilding championship, earns pro card
- Tupelo's Buckley earns first professional golf win
- Tupelo 49ers win state American Legion championship
- Tupelo boys win 11th straight state swimming championship
- Tupelo boys swimming wins 12th straight state championship
- Tupelo hosting state long course swimming championships
- Tupelo Aquatic Center hosting Southern Zone championships
- BMC archer wins national championship
- ICC baseball wins MACJC Championship
- Area grapplers win national championships