ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) — Ole Miss men’s golfer Braden Thornberry is set to compete in the RSM Classic on the PGA Tour this weekend (Nov. 16-19) at the Sea Island Golf Club located in St. Simons, Georgia.
This will be Thornberry’s third PGA Tour appearance after earning a spot in the field as the winner the 2017 Jones Cup. He first appeared on the tour this summer when he competed in the FedEx St. Jude Classic after earning a sponsor’s exemption. The Olive Branch, Mississippi, native finished fourth to mark the best finish by an amateur on the PGA Tour last season and the lowest finish by an amateur at the tournament since 1965. The following month, he competed in the Greenbrier Classic in White Sulphur Spring, West Virginia as the winner of the Fred Haskins Award, given to the nation’s top collegiate golfer.
“It is really cool anytime you get to tee up in a PGA Tour event. I like being able to see how my game stacks up against these guys and learn what I need to work on,” said Thornberry. “Whether I play well or not, it will be a positive week with the experience I will gain.”
The RSM Classic made its debut in 2010 and is played on the Seaside Course (Par 70, 7,0005 yards) and the Plantation Course (Par 72, 7,058 yards). In 2015, the tournament expanded from 132 to 156 players and the event record has been owned by Kevin Kisner’s 260 aggregate ever since. Thornberry already has experience playing the Seaside Course because it is the annual site of the SEC Men’s Golf Championship.
Ole Miss All-American and PGA Tour pro Jonathan Randolph will also compete in the RSM Classic this weekend, starting on the back nine of the Plantation Course at 11:20 a.m. Thursday. Thornberry will play in the group immediately behind Randolph, teeing off at 11:30 a.m. As a native of St. Simons Island, Georgia, incoming freshman Thomas Hogan will be in attendance to cheer on the two competing Rebels.
- Thornberry to Compete on PGA Tour this week
- Thornberry Qualifies for National Championship
- Braden Thornberry wins McCormack medal
- Victory earns Thornberry SEC Golfer of the Week honors
- Thornberry seizes lead with tournament-record round
- Thornberry defends title in Music City
- Thornberry, Rebels on top at Old Waverly
- Thornberry concludes golf season at National Championships
- Cameron Champ wins Sanderson Farms Championship for 1st PGA Tour victory
- Thornberry named 2017 AGC Men’s Player of the Year