OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) – Ole Miss freshman forward Promise Taylor has been named the SEC Freshman of the Week on Monday morning after establishing a dominating presence in her first two career games as a Rebel this past weekend.
Taylor, a 6'5" four-star prospect from Issaquah, Washington, was the focal point of the Rebel high-low game, scoring in double digits in the first two games of her collegiate career. In her first regular season action, she shot .833 on 5-of-6 shooting from the field with 13 points in a win vs. Northwestern State, following that up with another blistering shooting night with an .818 clip on 9-of-11 shooting vs. Kennesaw State last night for 19 points.
Her season field goal percentage of .824 ranks third in the SEC, and her seven blocks in the first two games ranks second at 3.5 per game. Last night alone she batted down five shots, the most since Taylor Manuel blocked five against Mississippi Valley State last season. In the exhibition win vs. Mississippi College, Taylor blocked six shots – more than any Rebel has done in the regular season since 2008.
The Rebels hit the road for the first time this season this weekend to Chicago for DePaul’s Maggie Dixon Classic, playing Saint Louis on Friday (Nov. 17) and either DePaul or Delaware State on Saturday (Nov. 18).
- Taylor named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Taylor named SEC Freshman of the Week again
- Promise Taylor earns second SEC Freshman of the Week honor
- Davidson named SEC Freshman of the Year
- SEC All-Freshman center Promise Taylor joins Mississippi State
- MSU's Nick Weatherspoon named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Tanner Allen named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Ole Miss’ Mimi Reid named SEC Freshman of the Week
- MSU's Thompson, Christmann named to SEC All-Freshman Team
- Mia Davidson earns second SEC Freshman of the Week honor