OXFORD, Miss. (Ole Miss Athletics/WTVA) - Ole Miss senior quarterback Jordan Ta’amu has been added to the watch list for the 2018 Manning Award, the Allstate Sugar Bowl announced Thursday.
The Manning Award, created by the Allstate Sugar Bowl in honor of the college football accomplishments of Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning, is the only quarterback award that includes the candidates’ bowl performances in its balloting.
After announcing 30 quarterbacks to watch during the preseason, the Manning Award opted to add 15 more QBs and increase its focus players based on the many outstanding performances during the first half of the year. While these players have been added to the Watch List, every quarterback in the nation remains eligible to win the honor.
Ta’amu, a senior from Pearl City, Hawaii, either leads the SEC or ranks in the top two in nearly every passing category. He leads the SEC and ranks fourth nationally in passing yards with 2,298. Ta’amu’s 15 passing TDs are second in the SEC and rank 16th in the NCAA.
Ta’amu earned SEC Co-Offensive Player of the Week honors after accounting for 528 offensive yards and three touchdowns in a come-from-behind win over Arkansas last Saturday. His 528 total yards were the second-most in school history, only behind Archie Manning’s history 540-yard performance against Alabama in 1969.
The senior signal-caller now has five of the top 10 single-game total offense performances in program history, including four this season; the most ever by any Ole Miss player. Ta’amu currently ranks 10th all-time in career passing yards at Ole Miss with 3,980 yards.
Finalists for Manning Award will be determined by a selected panel of national media covering college football, as well as each of the Mannings. That list will be released on Thursday, Nov. 29 and the winner is scheduled to be announced following the College Football Playoff National Championship.
- Ta'amu added to Manning Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ D.K. Metcalf added to Biletnikoff Award Watch List
- Ole Miss’ Moore added to Biletnikoff Award watch list
- Christmann selected to Groza Award watch list
- Rivers on Ted Hendricks Award watch list
- Jeffery Simmons named to Bednarik Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ A.J. Brown named to Biletnikoff Award Watch List
- A.J. Brown selected to watch list for Walter Camp Award
- Teaira McCowan named to Lisa Leslie Award watch list
- Ole Miss' Phillips named to Maxwell Award watch list