HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — Dominic Magee scored 22 points, Cortez Edwards added 13 points with a career-high 10 assists and six steals, and Southern Miss beat Rice 86-75 on Thursday night to end a two-game skid and win its eighth straight at home.
LaDavius Draine, a freshman from Calhoun City, scored 16 points off the bench and Tyree Griffin scored 14 points with six assists for the Golden Eagles (10-10, 3-4 Conference USA), who made 11 3-pointers and 15 of 16 free throws (93.8 percent).
Griffin hit two 3s in a 10-2 run for a 62-48 Southern Miss lead, but Ako Adams scored eight points amid a 17-4 run and the Owls closed to 80-75 on his free throw with 1:03 to play. Draine hit a jumper and Magee scored four straight in the final 24 seconds to seal it.
Rice led 26-25 on Najja Hunter's 3, but Draine hit a jumper and a go-ahead 3 to spark a 16-5 run and the Golden Eagles led 43-36 at halftime.
Adams scored 18 points with three 3s and five assists, Malik Osborne added 17 points, and Austin Meyer had 10 for the Owls (4-15, 1-5), who have lost nine of their last 10 games.
- Southern Miss beats Rice 86-75 behind Magee's 22
- Abraham tosses 4 TDs as Southern Miss tops Rice 40-22
- No. 22 Mississippi State beats McNeese State
- Florida State beats Southern Miss 42-13 in Independence Bowl
- Southern Miss beats WCU 68-63 in Cancun Challenge
- Auburn beats Southern Miss 24-13 after long delay
- Southern Miss blanks DBU 9-0
- No. 4 Ole Miss baseball rallies to beat No. 14 Southern Miss
- ICC's Springfield signs with Southern Miss softball
- Murray rallies No. 22 Auburn over Ole Miss 85-70