TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Numerous area football standouts signed with four-year schools on Wednesday, the first day of the NCAA's early signing period.
Pontotoc High School offensive lineman Cole Smith signed with LSU. Smith was a three-year starter at left tackle, but also spent time at guard and center in 2017, when he was credited with 67 pancake blocks and zero sacks.
Tupelo defensive lineman Peter Gray signed with Texas-San Antonio.
New Hope receiver Jeremy Tate signed with the University of Memphis.
Northwest quarterback Jack Abraham, a former Oxford High standout, signed with Southern Miss. Abraham wasn't the only Ranger to sign - receiver Jerrick Orr (Aberdeen) inked with Southeast Missouri while kicker/punter Drake McCarter (Saltillo) is headed to Mississippi College.
East Mississippi All-American defensive back Duke Upshaw signed with Central Arkansas. Upshaw played at Baldwyn High School.
- Several area football players sign on first day of early period
- Ole Miss football inks 15 during December signing period
- Two area football players headed to next level
- MSU, Moorhead haul in top 20 class during new early signing period
- Area players make Tuesday commitments
- Area football players take center stage at Sun Belt Media Day
- Numerous area signings on Friday
- ICC sends 14 to the next level on first day of mid-term signing period
- Area basketball team fueled by special player
- MSU football player Reggie Todd arrested