SMITHVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - Smithville is usually a contender in Class 1A, and the Seminoles are expected to be one of the top teams again in 2019.
Head coach Michael Campbell has 34 players on his roster, including 12 seniors.
"We're a brand new team this year, so we're gonna have to figure out what we're good at, what we're not good at, the things that we need to work on, and that's what we're doing right now," Campbell said. "But (we're) looking forward to this season and seeing what we've got with our skill guys, we've got some skill guys back, and got a lot of team speed that we feel like we can use to our advantage."
Octavian Miller and Jabril Smith return in the backfield, while Jordan Wardlaw helps lead the defense.
We're gonna have to have that same mentality, the tradition at Smithville, you've just gotta go in, you've gotta be the fastest, and you've gotta be the most physical," Wardlaw said.
Smithville opens at Belmont on Aug. 23.
- Seminoles once again expected to contend in 1A
- Smith, Seminoles gear up for round two
- Okolona defeats Ashland for 1A boys crown
- Pine Grove wins Class 1A girls championship
- Smithville wins Class 1A state baseball championship
- Pine Grove defeats McAdams for 1A girls title
- Nanih Waiya repeats as class 1A baseball champions
- East Marion downs Okolona for Class 1A boys championship
- Nanih Waiya wins Class 1A state football championship
- Simmons downs Nanih Waiya for Class 1A title