UNDATED (WTVA) - The Southeastern Conference released a statement on why play wasn't stopped after Nick Weatherspoon's injury in MSU's game Friday vs. Tennessee.
Here is the entire statement from the league:
The SEC expresses its sincere concern for Nick Weatherspoon and his family and prays for a full and rapid recovery.
"The play on which Nick Weatherspoon was injured unfolded in a rapid sequence of events that led to the continuation of play after Nick initially fell under the Mississippi State basket," said Mark Whitehead, SEC Coordinator of Officials. “The officials did not recognize Nick was injured until after the transition that led to the completion of the play where, unfortunately, he remained on the floor.”
The SEC appreciates the quick response of the sports medicine staff and EMS personnel.
- SEC statement on injury to Mississippi State's Nick Weatherspoon
- MSU's Nick Weatherspoon named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Tshisumpa signs with MSU, Nick Weatherspoon returning
- Weatherspoon leads Mississippi State past Little Rock
- Weatherspoon named Second-Team All-SEC
- Weatherspoon brothers named to All-SEC teams
- Weatherspoon, Holman power Mississippi State past North Georgia
- Mississippi State volleyball wins SEC home opener
- Mississippi State beats Dayton 61-59 on a Quinndary Weatherspoon buzzer beater
- Quinndary Weatherspoon declares for 2018 NBA Draft