CHICAGO (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – Ted Hendricks and the Ted Hendricks Foundation released the Preseason Watch List for the 2019 edition of the Ted Hendricks Award on Wednesday, and Mississippi State senior defensive end Chauncey Rivers was one of 37 players on the list.
The Ted Hendricks Award honors the top defensive end in college football and is named in honor of college football’s first three-time first-team All-American. On-field performance, exceptional winning attitude, leadership abilities, contributions to school and community and academic preparedness are some of the criteria used to determine the award’s recipient each year. Members of the national media, head coaches, professional scouts and former winners are included on the award’s selection committee.
Candidates may represent any class (freshman through senior) as well as any four-year NCAA accredited school. The candidate’s primary position must be defensive end.
Rivers has had an impressive preseason camp and will step into a starting role this season. He played in all 13 games in 2018 and had solid numbers on one of the best defensive lines in college football. He made 24 tackles, seven tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. The Stone Mountain, Georgia, native recorded an astounding 19 pressures across 339 snaps played, according to PFF.
Rivers is a preseason All-SEC selection by both media and coaches.
State will open the 2019 season on Aug. 31 against Louisiana in New Orleans.
- Rivers on Ted Hendricks Award watch list
- Christmann selected to Groza Award watch list
- Ta'amu added to Manning Award watch list
- A.J. Brown selected to watch list for Walter Camp Award
- Ole Miss’ D.K. Metcalf added to Biletnikoff Award Watch List
- MSU's Quinndary Weatherspoon lands on Jerry West Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ Cooley named to Mackey Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ Sanogo tabbed to Butkus Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ Moore added to Biletnikoff Award watch list
- Jeffery Simmons named to Bednarik Award watch list