AUBURN, Ala. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – For the fourth year in a row, a member of the Mississippi State men’s tennis team will represent the Maroon and White in the championship singles match of the ITA Southern Regional Championships.
MSU sophomore Gregor Ramskogler outlasted State true freshman Davide Tortora in a three-set semifinal battle Monday to move into Tuesday’s title match where he will face Auburn’s Tim Dollman at 10 a.m. CT. He will look to become the fourth Bulldog in as many years to claim the ITA Southern Region singles crown.
Morning play commenced at the Yarbrough Tennis Center Monday with Ramskogler and the seventh-seeded Tortora fighting through the first set, keeping pace with one another to a tiebreaker. Ramskogler pushed through in the breaker to claim the first set 7-6(3). However, like he has done all week, Tortora dug in as he took a quick 4-2 lead in the second frame, winning it 6-4. Ramskogler then took a 4-2 lead of his own in the third and final set, taking it and the match 7-6(3), 4-6, 6-4.
Ramskogler, who was the top seed in qualifying, has won seven-straight matches in a six-day span to earn his spot in the championship match of the tournament against Auburn’s Dollman, who has also come through qualifying to reach Tuesday’s main draw title clash. Dollman advanced to the final when Ole Miss’ top-seeded and 25th-ranked Tim Sandkaulen withdrew due to injury Monday.
With the Reichraming, Austria, native Ramskogler reaching the finals of this week’s ITA Regionals, MSU will now have another entry into the Oracle ITA National Fall Championships Nov. 6-10 in Newport Beach, California, as all ITA Regional singles finalists advance to the national event. Bulldog senior All-American Giovanni Oradini qualified for the Oracle by reaching the quarterfinals of the ITA All-American Championships earlier this fall.
MSU at the ITA Southern Regional Championships
October 21, 2019 – Auburn, Alabama
Semifinals - Gregor Ramskogler (MSU) def. Davide Tortora (MSU)  7-6(3), 4-6, 6-4
- Ramskogler reaches finals at ITA Southern Regional Championships
- MSU's Ramskogler claims ITA Southern Regional Championships crown
- ICC's Applewhite earns ITA/Arthur Ashe regional award
- Foshey, Ramskogler claim doubles title at Gamecock Invite
- Ole Miss' Hartono named to ITA Collegiate All-Star Team
- Borges named ITA National Senior Player of the year
- Nuno Borges named ITA National Player of the year
- Tupelo Aquatic Center hosting Southern Zone championships
- MUW women's basketball reaches USCAA finals
- MSU tennis All-American Nuno Borges named to 2018 ITA All-Star Team