PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (MSU Athletics/WTVA) - Peng Pichaikool added another strong finish to his laundry list of accomplishments.
The junior from Bangkok Thailand earned the eighth Top 10 finish of his career, but this time he did it at the legendary Pebble Beach Golf Links.
Pichaikool shot a three-day 10-under-206 to finish seventh out of a talented player field at the Carmel Cup on Sunday.
Pichaikool was the top individual finisher for the Mississippi State men’s golf team, who placed eighth on a leaderboard full of top-ranked opponents at the Par-72, 6,828-yard course. State shot a 4-under-1,076 for the weekend, and 1-over in the final round.
Fellow junior Garrett Johnson finished in the Top 15 individually after tying his career-best 54-hole score with a 6-under-210 over the weekend, last done at the Bighorn Invitational in March. Johnson tied for 13th after carding a 71 in Sunday’s final round, marking his sixth-career Top 15 finish.
Sophomore Hunter Hammett closed his weekend with a final-round 70, the lowest round score of his young career. He finished alone for 38th, the third-best Bulldog on the individual leader board.
In his debut, Ford Clegg finished right behind Hammett, alone for 39th, and shot a 70 of his own in the second round.
Senior Austin Rose finished tied for 40th at 6-over-par, while sophomore Austin Fulton took 46th at 9-over.
Oklahoma took the team title at Pebble Beach with a 46-under-par performance, while Oklahoma State’s Matthew Wolff overtook first on Sunday to win individually with a 17-under-199.
The Golf Dawgs have next weekend off before they head to Louisville, Kentucky, for the three-day Louisville Cardinal Challenge Sept. 14-16.
For more information on the Bulldogs, follow the program on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram by searching @HailStateMG.
The Carmel Cup — Final Round
1. Oklahoma (340+336+358=1,034, -46)
2. Georgia (352+339+345=1,036, -44)
3. Oklahoma State (350+350+345=1,045, -35)
4. Arkansas (356+347+349=1,052, -28)
5. TCU (354+354+352=1,060, -20)
6. Vanderbilt (361+352+352=1,065, -15)
7. Texas Tech (361+350+362=1,073, -7)
8. Mississippi State (361+354+361=1,076, -4)
7. Peng Pichaikool (69+66+71=206, -10)
T13. Garrett Johnson (69+70+71=210, -6)
38. Hunter Hammett (76+74+70=220, +4)
39. Ford Clegg (77+70+74=221, +5)
T40. Austin Rose (72+75+75=222, +6)
46. Austin Fulton (75+74+76=225, +9)
- Pichaikool takes 7th individually, State 8th at Carmel Cup
- Clegg, Pichaikool play into Louisville Regional top 15 on Tuesday
- Rebels win 7th straight, soar over Eagles 87-57
- Alabama beats Southern Miss 83-68 for 7th place at Atlantis
- Area Scores and Highlights: High School Basketball January 7th
- Dogs down Rebs in Governor's Cup game
- Bulldogs down Rebels to win Governor's Cup
- BMC wins Riley Moore Collegiate Cup
- Hayden Buckley tied for 7th after 54 holes at the Osprey Valley Open
- Fulton's McDonald falls to 8th place tie after Saturday 74 at ANA Inspiration