STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – For the first time in the 23-year history of the Mississippi State soccer program, a Bulldog has received All-American honors.
Just a day after receiving First Team All-Southeast Region by United Soccer Coaches, Catalina Perez was named a Third Team All-American by the organization previously known as National Soccer Coaches Association of America on Thursday.
The Boca Raton, Fla., standout adds this honor to an already-stellar 2017 résumé that includes the distinction of the top goalkeeper in the Southeastern Conference after she was named First Team All-SEC in late October. Perez was also named SEC Defensive Player of the Week in Week 10 (Oct. 23) after allowing just one goal over two contests in which she totaled 10 saves and a shutout.
A member of the Colombian Women’s National Team in the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics, Perez has cemented herself as one of the top goalkeepers in program history with a 1.00 goals allowed average that rates second in MSU soccer history. Her 6.0 shutouts earned ranks third in the program record books for clean sheets in a season.
Perez’s stellar play in net for State in 2017 helped Tom Anagnost’s first Bulldog squad to the program’s best finish in 16 seasons.
Perez will be formally acknowledged for her accomplishments at the United Soccer Coaches All-America Luncheon on January 20, 2018 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in conjunction with the 2018 United Soccer Coaches Convention in downtown Philadelphia.
- Perez named MSU soccer’s first All-American
- MSU's Mackay and Quijera named Google Cloud Academic All-Americans
- MSU soccer drops 1-0 heartbreaker at Tennessee
- Darty named MSU head volleyball coach
- Joey Jones named MSU special teams coordinator
- MSU's Anderson Peters named Bowerman semifinalist
- MSU kicker Jace Christmann named Football Writers Association freshman All-American
- MSU tennis All-American Nuno Borges named to 2018 ITA All-Star Team
- MSU/Ole Miss soccer battle to 1-1 draw
- MSU soccer remains unbeaten with 3-0 win at South Alabama