BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (Ole Miss Athletics/WTVA) - Three Rebels collected weekly honors from the Southeastern Conference after a 47-27 season-opening win over Texas Tech, the league office announced Monday.
Scottie Phillips, a transfer from Jones County Junior College, was named SEC Offensive Player of the Week after running for 204 yards, on 16 carries with two touchdowns in his first career start.
Phillips’ 204 rushing yards were the second-most during College Football’s opening weekend and are the most by an Ole Miss running back making his debut. Phillips became just the eighth running back to run for over 200 yards in a game. It was the 10th overall time in program history. Phillips is currently averaging 12.75 yards per carry, tops in the SEC and third nationally.
Junior Greg Little earned SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week after helping pave the way for Phillips and an Ole Miss offense that piled up 546 yards against a veteran Red Raider defense that was considered one of the Big 12’s best. The Ole Miss offense converted three touchdown drives that took less than 50 seconds.
Sophomore kicker Luke Logan was named SEC Co-Special Teams Player of the Week following his 4-for-4 performance to start the season. Luke, who was 2-of-3 on field goals in 2017 when he had to step in for an injured Gary Wunderlich for a few games, added a career-long 39-yard field goal to his ledger on Saturday. Logan currently ranks second in the SEC and 15th nationally in scoring (17).
Ole Miss will host Southern Illinois Saturday in the Rebels’ home opener. Kick is slated for 3 p.m. and will be televised on SEC Alternate.
- Ole Miss trio garners SEC weekly accolades
- Sweat, Calhoun earn SEC weekly honors
- Three Rebels earn SEC weekly honors
- Peters shares weekly SEC basketball honors
- Rebel golfers sweep SEC weekly awards
- Hill, Sweat collect SEC weekly honors
- Simmons, Jenkins earn SEC weekly honors
- McCowan earns eighth career SEC weekly honor
- Ole Miss' Patterson, Haynes honored by SEC
- Arkansas defeats Ole Miss in SEC Tournament