BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) - For the first time in her career, Sabina Machalova, of the Ole Miss women's tennis team, has been named the SEC Freshman of the Week, the conference office announced Wednesday.
Machalova becomes the first Rebel to be named SEC Freshman of the Week since teammate Arianne Hartono earned the honor twice in 2015.
Machalova' Week in Review...
• Went 3-0 in singles and doubles to help the Rebels to wins at Arkansas and Missouri.
• With the wins, the Rebels improved to 13-5 overall and evened their SEC record to 4-4.
• Won both her singles matches in straight sets, including a win against No. 76 Arkansas' Ana Oparenovic, 6-3, 6-1.
• Defeated Missouri's Mackenzie Middlebrooks, 6-1, 6-2.
• Improved to 16-9 overall and 3-3 in the SEC, all at No. 2 singles.
Rebels Back in the Top 10...
In the latest Oracle/ITA Rankings released Tuesday, the Rebels moved up a spot to No. 10. It marks 11 straight weeks for the Rebels to be ranked in the top 25. They are one of four SEC teams inside the top 10 and eight in the top 25.
The Rebels carry their top 10 ranking on the road again this weekend with a match at LSU on Friday at 12 p.m., followed by a match at Texas A&M Sunday at 1 p.m.