OXFORD, Miss. (Ole Miss Athletics/WTVA) - One of the finest seasons in the history of Ole Miss softball came to an end Saturday night as the No. 17 Rebels (41-20) fell 9-1 to No. 6 Arizona (47-12) in the Tucson Super Regional at Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium.
The Rebels conclude the 2019 season at 41-20, the second most wins in program history. Among the highlights of the year, the highest SEC finish ever (fifth) and the second NCAA Regional ever hosted at the Ole Miss Softball Complex.
Molly Jacobsen received the loss in the circle, surrendering eight runs (seven earned) on nine hits in six complete frames, striking out four. Ava Tillmann entered in the seventh to finish things off, allowing one unearned run.
After Arizona took an early lead with a Dejah Mulipola solo homer in the second, Autumn Gillespie responded with a third inning moon shot to left field, knotting the score at a run apiece.
The tie did not last for long as a couple of looping singles to the outfield fell in for the Wildcats, scoring three runs to put Ole Miss in a 4-1 hole.
Arizona tacked on a run in the fifth and four more in the seventh to put things out of reach. Ole Miss threatened to draw closer a few times throughout but couldn't produce the clutch hit to drive runs home, sending the Wildcats to their 23rd Women's College World Series.
- Ole Miss softball loses 9-1 to Arizona
- Ole Miss softball drops Super Regional opener to Arizona
- Ole Miss overwhelms LSU 9-1 for first SEC title since 2006
- Ole Miss softball earns Saturday sweep
- Ole Miss softball blanks South Carolina 1-0
- Ole Miss softball announces 2019 schedule
- Ole Miss, MSU softball split Friday doubleheader
- Ole Miss women lose at LSU
- Ole Miss sweeps Auburn