COLLEGE STATION, Texas (Ole Miss Sports/WTVA) - Kentucky took first-inning lead over Ole Miss on an Abbey Cheek home run and rode the momentum to a win in the SEC Tournament Quarterfinals, defeating the Rebels 8-0 in five innings at Davis Diamond.
Brittany Finney took the loss in the circle for Ole Miss (37-17, 13-10 SEC), allowing six runs on six hits in 2.1 innings of work, striking out three. Molly Jacobsen collected one out in relief, surrendering two runs on four hits, while Ava Tillmann finished out the final 1.1 innings with just one hit allowed.
Ole Miss got off to a fast start, with Kylan Becker and Abbey Latham registering back-to-back singles to leadoff the game. However, the Rebs couldn't take advantage, leaving a pair in scoring position. Just a few minutes later, Kentucky (33-21, 14-10 SEC) got in front on Cheek's two-run blast to center field.
Ole Miss again put a pair in scoring position in the second but couldn't produce the clutch hit, stranding both runners.
With an early lead in hand, Kentucky broke the game open in the third. The Wildcats faced three Rebel pitchers in the inning, scoring six runs on seven hits.
The Rebels continued to fight but just weren't able to come up with the pivotal plays to breakup the shutout, falling via the run rule.
- Ole Miss softball eliminated by Kentucky in SEC Tournament quarterfinals
- Ole Miss softball’s SEC Tournament opener postponed to Thursday
- Arkansas defeats Ole Miss in SEC Tournament
- Ole Miss baseball advances to SEC Tournament Championship game
- Alabama rallies to beat Ole Miss in SEC Tournament
- Ethridge, Ole Miss top Missouri 2-1 in SEC Tournament
- Ole Miss softball's Becker, Cox named Preseason All-SEC
- Ole Miss, Kentucky baseball alter Saturday schedule
- Ole Miss downs Kentucky in series opener
- Ole Miss drops doubleheader to Kentucky