OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) - Spending practically the entire night in the attacking third of the field, Ole Miss (3-1) dominated Murray State (3-1) Sunday night, defeating the Racers 3-0 at the Ole Miss Soccer Stadium.
Already having forced Racer keeper Alex Steigerwald into three saves, Ole Miss finally got the better of the senior in the 26th-minute. CeCe Kizer slipped a pass in to Haleigh Stackpole, who's run put her all alone in front of goal. The freshman made no mistake about it, placing the ball into the bottom corner to put the Rebs up 1-0.
The Rebels continued to apply pressure on the Murray State defense but were forced to settle for a 1-0 halftime lead. When the second half began, it was more of the same.
Seven minutes into the second stanza, Channing Foster doubled the Rebel lead over her hometown team. The Murray, Kentucky native intercepted a pass in the attacking third, dodged a couple of defenders and sent in a low, curling shot that narrowly evaded Steigerwald's outstretched hand and tucked inside the far post.
The Rebels got a third in the 68th-minute thanks to some dazzling footwork from Kizer. The senior dribbled around a handful of defenders, leaving Racer after Racer in her wake before passing her shot past the charging keeper.
The 3-0 victory will be Ole Miss' final performance in Oxford for a decent stretch, as the Rebels embark on a five-match road swing, beginning next week with a pair of matches against Troy and South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama.
- Ole Miss soccer bounces back with 3-0 thrashing of Murray State
- Alabama baseball defeats Ole Miss 3-0
- Ole Miss soccer defeats Mississippi State 2-0
- Nikhazy's gem gives Ole Miss 3-0 win at Missouri
- Murray rallies No. 22 Auburn over Ole Miss 85-70
- Ole Miss soccer coach receives contract extension
- Ole Miss women bounce back with 73-58 win over Texas Southern
- No. 8 Ole Miss takes wild walk-off win over Murray State
- MSU soccer remains unbeaten with 3-0 win at South Alabama
- MSU/Ole Miss soccer battle to 1-1 draw