OXFORD, Miss. (Ole Miss Athletics/WTVA) - Ole Miss head men's basketball coach Kermit Davis announced that KJ Buffen has signed his National Letter of Intent and will join the Rebels for the upcoming season. A native from Gainesville, Georgia, Buffen is the first recruit to sign during the Davis era.
"KJ is a very versatile 6-7, 220-pound hybrid forward that has a great skill level and possesses outstanding athletic ability," said Davis. "One of the best players in Georgia, first team all-state, KJ played his entire senior season as a 17-year old. He comes from a great family and fits the Ole Miss Basketball culture."
ESPN.com lists Buffen as a four-star forward and the No. 7 player in the state of Georgia. Rivals.com and 247Sports both graded him as a three-star prospect. Coached by Benjie Wood, Buffen was a four-year starter at Gainesville High School.
"Coach Benjie Wood did an outstanding job with KJ and prepared him very well for our level," added Davis.
Buffen averaged 16 points per game and seven rebounds per game as a senior. Earning first team all-state honors and getting named Region 8-AAAAAA Player of the Year, Buffen led his team to a 25-5 record and a spot in the state championship game. The state finals appearance was the school's first since 2013. The Atlanta Tipoff Club placed Buffen on the All-Metro High School Boys Team, one of only 15 players to achieve the honor.
As a junior, Buffen earned Class 6A All-State accolades. He averaged 12 points per game to go along with eight rebounds per game, guiding Gainesville to the first of back-to-back Lanierland Tournament titles. Buffen helped push the team all the way to the state quarterfinals as well.
- Ole Miss men's basketball inks forward KJ Buffen
- Ole Miss men's basketball inks Carlos Curry to NLI
- Buffen, Tyree double up to send Ole Miss past Seattle
- Shuler, Buffen help Ole Miss defeat Tennessee Tech 80-63
- Ole Miss women's basketball inks four in fall signing period
- Ole Miss football inks 15 during December signing period
- Ole Miss softball inks oregon transfer Alyssa Pinto
- Ole Miss men's basketball drops 75-69 decision to Missouri.
- Ole Miss officially names Kermit Davis as men's basketball coach
- Ole Miss introduces Kermit Davis as men's basketball coach