OXFORD, Miss. (AP/WTVA) - Former Maryland football coach D.J. Durkin has been hired as an assistant coach by Mississippi.
Durkin was fired by Maryland during the 2018 season following the death of a player who had collapsed during offseason conditioning drills.
He spent last season as a consultant with the Atlanta Falcons.
Durkin will join new Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin's defensive staff.
He did stints as defensive coordinator at Michigan and Florida, building up a reputation as a top recruiter, before being hired as head coach at Maryland at age 37.
He went 10-15 in two seasons with the Terrapins.
Ole Miss also announced the hiring of assistant coaches Chris Partridge and Joe Jon Finley.
Partridge comes to Oxford from the University of Michigan where he served as special teams coordinator and safeties coach.
Finley spent the 2019 season at Texas A&M coaching tight ends.
Ole Miss provided the following statement concerning Durkin.
Statement from Athletics Director Keith Carter:
“As part of our standard vetting process for all hires, the university conducted a thorough background check on Coach Durkin, and we connected with several highly respected college football coaches, administrators and school officials about their experiences working with him. We received consistently strong feedback about Coach Durkin’s strong character and work ethic and his positive impact on the communities and institutions where he was previously employed. Once we had the chance to spend time with Coach Durkin, we were even more convinced that he is exactly the type of accomplished coach with strong football credentials who is also a proud and committed family man that will make him a great addition to our new staff.”
- Ole Miss hires former Maryland coach Durkin as assistant
- Georgia hires former Ole Miss head football coach Matt Luke
- Ladner hired as Southern Miss basketball coach
- Jones County Junior College hires former Ole Miss football assistant Barney Farrar
- Ole Miss names new women's basketball coach
- Ole Miss soccer coach receives contract extension
- Ole Miss extends contract of Coach Yo
- UPDATE: Former Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze hired at Liberty University
- MUW hires women's soccer coach
- Reports: Ole Miss hires Mike MacIntyre to be defensive coordinator