COLUMBIA, S.C. (Ole Miss Athletics/WTVA) - Ole Miss rallied late in South Carolina, but the comeback fell short as the Rebels fell 11-6 to clinch just their third series defeat of the season, all of which have come on the road in SEC play.
Grae Kessinger homered and Tim Rowe doubled as part of a huge eighth-inning rally, but it was simply too late to complete the comeback.
Brady Feigl started strong on the hill for Ole Miss, striking out five of his first seven batters. However, South Carolina plated three runs in the third and five more in the fourth to break the game open.
Will Golsan drove home the Rebels' first run on a single deep into the hole to the South Carolina shortstop in the fourth. Ryan Olenek doubled in the fifth to take his SEC-leading hitting streak to 22 games.
The Gamecocks tacked on two more runs in the fifth to take a commanding 10-1 advantage. The score stayed there until three straight singles by Cole Zabowski, Golsan and Tyler Keenan set the stage for the Rebels' biggest inning of the afternoon.
After a pitching change came Rowe's RBI double. Jacob Adams nearly continued the rally with a single through the right side but was robbed of a base hit on a diving play by the Gamecock second baseman. Kessinger followed Adams' RBI groundout with a deep home run to left center to cut the deficit to four, but the Rebels couldn't sustain the rally after that.
Ole Miss will look to take one for the road in Game 3, which is set for an 11 a.m. CT first pitch and will air on SEC Network.
- Ole Miss baseball drops game two at South Carolina
- South Carolina downs Ole Miss
- Ole Miss softball blanks South Carolina 1-0
- No. 3 Ole Miss baseball falls in Game 1 at South Carolina
- Ole Miss baseball reschedules Saturday game
- Luke previews South Carolina game
- Free throws help Ole Miss men down South Carolina
- Silva's double-double helps South Carolina hold off Ole Miss
- Late rally lifts South Carolina past Ole Miss 48-44
- Ole Miss baseball takes SEC road win at South Carolina in 10 innings