DALLAS (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) – Ole Miss senior running back Scottie Phillips has been named to the preseason Doak Walker Award watch list, the PwC SMU Athletic Forum announced on Wednesday.
The award, which will name its 30th recipient in 2019, is named for SMU’s three-time All-America running back Doak Walker. It is the only major collegiate award that requires all candidates to be in good academic standing and on schedule to graduate within one year of other students of the same classification.
Phillips, who was also named to the Maxwell Award watch list on Monday, ran for 928 yards on 153 carries in 2018 and ranked fifth in the SEC in total touchdowns (14) and third in rushing TDs (12).
The senior from Ellisville, Mississippi, was on pace to shatter the 1,000-yard rushing mark, but he battled through injury the final three games of the season. He recorded at least one rushing TD in seven of the 11 games he played in during the 2018 season.
Phillips burst onto the scene last year after rushing for 204 yards and two TDs in the Rebels’ season-opener versus Texas Tech. He became just the eighth Ole Miss running back to surpass the 200-yard rushing mark in a single game. Phillips’ 204 yards were the most by an Ole Miss running back making his debut. He was named SEC Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts.
The PwC SMU Athletic Forum Board of Directors will name ten semifinalists in November, and three finalists, as voted on by the Doak Walker Award National Selection Committee, will be announced on Nov. 20. The committee will cast a second vote beginning Dec. 2 to determine the recipient.
The winner of the 2019 Doak Walker Award will be announced live on The Home Depot College Football Awards on Thursday, Dec. 12 on ESPN.
Ole Miss will open the 2019 season at Memphis on Aug. 31. Kick is slated for 11 a.m. CT and will be televised on ABC-WTVA.
- Ole Miss’ Phillips selected to watch list for Doak Walker Award
- Kylin Hill makes Doak Walker Award list
- MSU's Williams tabbed to Doak Walker Award Watch List
- Ole Miss' Phillips named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Christmann selected to Groza Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ Logan selected to watch list for Lou Groza Award
- Ole Miss’ A.J. Brown named to Biletnikoff Award Watch List
- Ole Miss’ Sanogo tabbed to Butkus Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ D.K. Metcalf added to Biletnikoff Award Watch List
- Ole Miss’ Cooley named to Mackey Award watch list